Understanding the Affordable Health Care Act or “Obama-Care”
The Affordable Health Care Act or “Obama-Care” – what will happen? The new Health Insurance Marketplace will open this Fall. When prices are released in October, people with no insurance, or those who want to change their coverage, can compare health plans, and sign up for plans to begin in 2014.
- Open enrollment begins October 1, 2013
- Coverage begins January 1, 2014
- Open enrollment closes March 31, 2014
The Community Health Reform Advocacy Committee (a local task force of experts) estimates that 65,000 San Mateo County residents will qualify for subsidized or free health insurance as the law comes into effect.
If you are not insured, and live in San Mateo County, you can apply online, or make an appointment to speak to a Certified Application Assistor. Go to the web sites below or call 650-616–2002.
- San Mateo County - Health Care Coverage Unit
- la Unidad de Cobertura de Salud del Condado de San Mateo
California's Marketplace for Insurance
If you live in California, Covered California is the Health Insurance Marketplace to serve you. If you qualify for subsidized (government discounted) insurance, California is a State system. The County helps distribute State benefits, so you can get help where you live.
- AARP Fact Sheets, Tools and Information
- AARP Aprenda cómo trabaja la ley de salud para usted y su familia
Health Coverage Enrollment Fair!